19 Feb 2007

And now a musing about Roma:
Oh how I love Italia! Someday I will go back there (preferably after I have learned Italian... which I am going to do this summer) and be able to better observe the culture that exudes from Rome. The people are fantastically real and raw. They will bear their sould to you on the street for the cost of 5 Euro. And afterwards give you a kiss on the Spanish Steps (only happened once... his name was Dieg). Their life is so fresh and pleasant. The men live to eat, drink, and smoke. While the women apparently love to shop and stay more concealed in the homes. The businesses are run by all men as it appeared to us in our tiny hotel Palla Cavicchi! Where by the way we were the only women in the entire establishment!
Our hotel staff was more like our brothers/fathers for our trip. They would drive us to the train station (we had to take a short train into Rome everyday) and when we were ready to come home they would pick us up at the station. They gave us a card with the hotel numbers on it... and told us to call whenever we needed something. Well the first night we got lost of course and starting wandering around cause we couldn't find a phone. We walked into some random hotel and asked if they could call our hotel. The man did and they were laughing and speaking Italian... we picked up on the words American-Blonde-Brunette-Bella (beautiful!) So the bar tender Andre came to pick us up in his tiny little car. When we got back to the hotel they were all in the lobby waiting for us. They said we were so worried about you! -We had lots of kisses all weekend!
We saw the Coloseum which was by far my favorite thing that we did! We saw the Spanish Steps, the Trevy Fountain, the Vatican, the Pantheon, the Masoleum, and every Piazza inbetween! I can't even describe to you all the beauty and majesty and lives in this ancient city. Rome was even better than I had anticipated it being. I was almost afraid that it wouldn't live up to the incredible thing I had built up in my head.. but it was even better than that!
I won't continue to ramble on forever but I will end this musing now by saying that Rome was an incredible place that I could have stayed in forever. I long to return to my boyfriends at the Hotel Pala Cavicchi and spend more time in Roma before I have to return to the dreaded and dreary Provo! Yes, I am a changed woman! I have seen beauty that is as old as the beginning of civilizations, and they took my very breathe away! Rome brought out the true Bohemian that lies within my rough and tough exterior! I love you all and I hope you had a laugh at this musing.
-Ciao

2 comments:

Hilarie said...

Mandy - Grandma just gave my your blog address! Don't you love blogs! I started one awhile ago and Megan and Jim have one. It is so handy! Anyway, can't wait to see photos! Sounds like you are having a grea time!!

Holly said...

Mandy,

We love your blog. I hope you figure out the pictures soon. We can't wait to see Rome.