4 Mar 2007

My Own Canterbury Tale

This last weekend was our designated "live-in" weekend. Basically everyone from the program leaves London from Thursday to Monday, going in groups of two, and lives with an English family for a few days. Our group was spread out all up and down England, while some even ventured into Ireland and Scotland. Mallory and I were heading off to Canterbury and the small town of Herne Bay.
When we arrived on Thursday evening we were picked up at the train station by our host woman Carly and her two year old son Joshua. She was friendly enough, and what could have been a horribly awkward car ride back to the house with a complete stranger turned out to be only mildly uncomfortable. I was just beginning to think that our weekend would be one of the more pleasant experiences when we arrived at the house, and walked through the front door only to see two obese cats gazing upwards at me. I subconsciously covered my throat to make sure it wasn't exposed to the horrible demons on the floor. You know they say that animals can sense fear... that's pretty much what was going through my head at the moment.
We got settled into our room and I decided to just try and stick it out at the allergy centralized home for the weekend. This family had invited two strange Americans to stay with them and I didn't want to seem rude or ungrateful. So we basically stayed away from the house as much as possible the next day. We went into Canterbury in the morning and stayed until almost midnight. It really was a beautiful place. There was adorable little neighborhoods with quaint looking homes that had been there for decades. And we had a good time seeing the Cathedral and all of the religious sites surrounding it. Also we did some shopping (naturally) and spent alot of time walking up and down High Street, going in little boutiques and walking round the market. That night we didn't want to go back to the cat house too early so we were wandering and just happened to come upon a local theatre house. And just our luck there happened to be student tickets available for that nights showing of To Kill A Mockingbird. And for only 5GBP! Wow, that's a steal of a deal! So we decided to brave the local thesbians and see the play.
Funny thing about To Kill A Mockingbird, it is set in the Deep South in America. Well being in a small town in Brittain we were shocked almost to tears and laughter when the show began and we were hit with a mixture of an English, southern accent. And at times it sounded extremely Australian... it was interesting to say the least. And I suppose it was good acting by most in the cast to be able to pull off the accents. However, for the unlucky actors that couldn't afford a speech coach they made immense fools of themselves!
We got back to the house and I knew the second we walked in doors that it was going to be a rough night. My allergies had escalated immensly and to make a long story short I had a wicked asthma attack in the middle of the night. My lack of breathing got so bad in fact that I stuck my head out of our bedroom window for about a half hour. Which would've been no problem if there didn't happen to be a crazy wind and rain storm raging about. It's safe to say that I didnt get much sleep that night. So to sum up me and Mallory came back to London Saturday morning.
So here I sit on this Sunday night, with only two girls in my dormroom instead of the usual twelve. And I think I have almost forgotten what silence sounds like. It is very nice and relaxing to have a bit of alone time!
I'll finish this story with the most exciting of news! Just as a little back up for those who don't know... me and Sam have "reconnecting" if you will, since I've come out to London. We e-mail and keep eachother up to date on whats new in our lives. So the other day he called me to say that at work he saw on the internet some incredibly cheap tickets to London and simply couldn't pass them up! So Sam will be coming out here at the end of March!!! Yeah!!! I can't wait for him to come see my new lifestyle in this incredible city! Well I posted some new pictures for you guys to see... I'll try and update them a litte more frequently this week! And that's about it for my Canterbury Tale.

0 comments: