30 May 2008

Fulminare


Well I learned a new Italian word yesterday: Fulminare, which literally means electrocute! I suppose the story all started about a few centuries ago when Italy was creating its electricity system for the country. Things didnt work flawlessly so a few decades ago they changed the plugs in the walls from two small parallel circles, to two very small parallel circles, to fit in with the rest of Europe. This doesnt seem too problematic except for the fact that most homes in Siena have both kinds of outlet still installed inside their homes! To make this long story shorter, my European blowdryer needs to be plugged into an old school Italian outlet to make it work. And yesterday i had the pleasure of grabbing the plug out of the wall while the light that allows the electricity to flow freely was still on. It was my first experience being electrocuted, and hopefully my last... my arm went numb for a bit and a few tears escaped my eyes but by lunch time I was finally able to feel my fingers again! ha! All is fine now, i dont think that i lost too many brain cells in the electric current that surged through my body, but one never knows...

4 comments:

holly said...

Are you kidding, me did you think that maybe you should go to a doctor or something. Not that the drs would be more impressive than the electrical outlets. Call me.

grams said said...

Not to worry mom, its only YOUR DAUGHTER!Hey you have three more.

I am sure she is fine, after all she does have a brain and she is alive, and well enough to tell about it.

Marcus Brittanie, and Indie said...

Are you kidding me! Not to be mean but that's probably the funniest thing I've ever heard! I can see the profanities coming out of your mouth as we speak!!!! Do you think you can bring home some gelato for me and chubby?! Yes I'm serious!

Anonymous said...

Mandy!~ haha i don't know what the deal is but for some reason all of us wilson girls have issues with electricity. Good one!~ also if your not too busy electrocuting yourself bring me home a hot Italian. love you!~